Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fourth of July

I used the Cricut to make a cute July 4th/ Flag Day decoration with the kids. I have been collecting tin cans (just the ones that open with can opener, the easy open have sharp edges). My 4 year old and 3 year old helped me paint them with a few coats of blue acrylic paint. I glued red and white ribbon to the bottoms, this was the most expensive part because I did not have any in stock, Michaels had the ribbon 2 for $5 this week. I made my own stickers using the Cricut and an $.89 sheet of foam. So this project cost about $6. I had the paint and twine in my stock pile.


I made the stickers by cutting the foam to fit through the sticker maker.

Then taped them to Cricut board with foam side up. I used tape because the backing is waxy and doesn't stick to the board. 

I had to stick the deep blade in the machine because the regular one just doesn't cut it. With the deep blade in I used blade 5, pressure 5 and speed 4. With blade 6 it cuts all the way through the foam and wax paper but with 5 it doesn't, so it all depends on what you want. It is easier for my 3 year old to peel off the stickers if the backing is not cut through.
 The star is cut at 1-1/2 from the Plantin Schoolbook cartridge.
The leftover foam can be put back in the sticker maker the other way to make custom pop dots. 


No comments:

Post a Comment