Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Menu Planner


This year we are determined to put an addition on our home. Our house has been for sale for 3 years and we've only had 3 showings even dropping the price considerably. In order to make room for our 4th child and to be happier in our house we are adding a new living room, bathroom, bedroom and closets. This means Penny Pinching.

Today was the start of our frugal living. I hung all the clothes out on the line to dry, I didn't drive anywhere and I taped a bunch of shows so that I could suspend our TV for the summer and save $50 a month.

I also decided to be more efficient at planning meals. Here is a Menu Planner I made today based on the design at Clairs Fairy Tale.

Of course I had to use my Cricut, for the lettering (Plantin Schoolbook), the boxes (Once Upon a Princess) and it helped me make perfect squares for the recipe cards. I wish I had done them smaller but I had to fit the ingredients on the back of each card. 

Here is the original I found on Pinterest:

I love being able to use all my little tools. I even got out the Laminator for the cards to make them more durable. I figured I can grab them and take them grocery shopping with me and they will still hold up. I purchased the Laminator off Amazon back in December for $16.99, I never realized how much I would use it. Here is the link, maybe it will go on sale again: Laminator and you can get one too!

I haven't hung the Menu Planner up in my kitchen yet because I am really short on wall space, but I will find a spot because I think it is really cute and should make meals more convenient.

I went through my cookbook and found 32 recipes that are tried and true. No new ones were included. So I have a months rotation before we have to start over again. I think this will help me incorporate more fruits and vegetables into our menu.

I entered this into the Copy Cat Challenge at http://www.kraftygirls.com/ I could enter so many projects into this challenge because I love so many things that people do but this is my favorite right now.

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Love it! Thanks for playing along at Krafty Girls! :)

    Karen
    craftedwithlovebykaren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea and it looks wonderful! Thanks so much for joining us at Krafty Girls!

    Stacey
    Krafty Girls DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic idea! I was just talking to another one of the Krafty Girls the other day about how we get tired of eating the same foods over and over again. This is definitely something to Kopy :)
    Thank you for linking up with us at Krafty Girls and Thank you for sharing this idea!
    Maribel

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fabulous idea Katie! Your board looks amazing! I think I'm going to copy it! We're on the opposite side of you, we're trying to buy a house... this would definitely help! :-)
    Thanks for joining us at Krafty Girls!
    ♥ Cyndy

    ReplyDelete